Monday, July 19, 2010

Reading in a foreign language no "petit" task

Having been learning how to read, speak and write French for two years, I thought I was pretty awesome at it. Nay, more than awesome. I was spectacular.

And then, in the second half of my French III course, it happened. It was pure madness. It made me doubt my abilities to comprehend French.

What was it?

A French book. Most notably, a French book for children, called "Le Petit Prince," by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. My French teacher announced we would be reading this book, and that reading it would challenge our knowledge of the French language and grammar.

But I wasn't really daunted: "A little kid's book?" I thought. "No problem. This is going to be easy."

Well, I was wrong. So very, very wrong, and for a few reasons. READ MORE

Charlie Anderson will be a senior at Christian Heritage High School this fall who enjoys the rain, funny movies and the French language. E-mail her at charliesaurus@gmail.com.

No comments: